The secrets of Happiness unlocked at last...
I've been listening to podcast's
Lots of them
This latest one proclaimed to answer how to be happy.
#1
This guy is running this huge study, where he checks in with thousands of people per day via texts and asks them a bunch of questions..and their state of mind.
He has amassed this huge dataset on happiness..and boiled down it's this..people are less happy when they are doing one thing but thinking about another.. distracted..worrying etc..
And the key is to focus on what you're doing in the moment.
I've heard this, or a version of it, a million ways to sunday.. but I like it best this way because there's data to back it up.
Rather than some guru/self help article/book pontificating.
The #2 method is this, also very boiled down.. happiness is about how you perceive things. The whole bloom where your planted, look on the bright side.. etc.. it's all in what story you decide to tell yourself about the situation..this is awesome or this is terrible. This goes all the way back to the Greek philosophers..I agree with this though it's easier said than done if you'be been a negative Nancy or a pessimist for a long time.. but it's apparently doable if you can change the way you think about things..I'm a bit of a worst-case-scenario person historically, but it doesn't serve me well 80% of the time.
And #3 is this, it's not the stuff you have that makes a good /happy life, but the experiences.. they interview a really rich guy who was not happy, then sold everything he owned, and lives in a 400sf pod, with enough stuff for a camping trip basicallt, and has found bliss in simplicity, travel, living slowly, and savouring every moment. I kind of agree with this one too, 'stuff' regularly gives me heartburn, and I'm aware of spending too much time cleaning/maintaining/reorganizing all the crap, when I should be out there being alive every second of the day.
So if you see me and I'm all happy all the time, this is probably why!
Likely,
I have mastered singularity of thought,
I have mastered a system for regarding all situations as fantastic
And
Rid myself of all my wordly possessions and am spending more time living slowly..
No big deal.
Oh,
Did that sound sarcastic?
I have some work to do still - WIP (work in progress) here.
Lots of them
This latest one proclaimed to answer how to be happy.
#1
This guy is running this huge study, where he checks in with thousands of people per day via texts and asks them a bunch of questions..and their state of mind.
He has amassed this huge dataset on happiness..and boiled down it's this..people are less happy when they are doing one thing but thinking about another.. distracted..worrying etc..
And the key is to focus on what you're doing in the moment.
I've heard this, or a version of it, a million ways to sunday.. but I like it best this way because there's data to back it up.
Rather than some guru/self help article/book pontificating.
The #2 method is this, also very boiled down.. happiness is about how you perceive things. The whole bloom where your planted, look on the bright side.. etc.. it's all in what story you decide to tell yourself about the situation..this is awesome or this is terrible. This goes all the way back to the Greek philosophers..I agree with this though it's easier said than done if you'be been a negative Nancy or a pessimist for a long time.. but it's apparently doable if you can change the way you think about things..I'm a bit of a worst-case-scenario person historically, but it doesn't serve me well 80% of the time.
And #3 is this, it's not the stuff you have that makes a good /happy life, but the experiences.. they interview a really rich guy who was not happy, then sold everything he owned, and lives in a 400sf pod, with enough stuff for a camping trip basicallt, and has found bliss in simplicity, travel, living slowly, and savouring every moment. I kind of agree with this one too, 'stuff' regularly gives me heartburn, and I'm aware of spending too much time cleaning/maintaining/reorganizing all the crap, when I should be out there being alive every second of the day.
So if you see me and I'm all happy all the time, this is probably why!
Likely,
I have mastered singularity of thought,
I have mastered a system for regarding all situations as fantastic
And
Rid myself of all my wordly possessions and am spending more time living slowly..
No big deal.
Oh,
Did that sound sarcastic?
I have some work to do still - WIP (work in progress) here.


Comments
Post a Comment